This working group is organized by MIDAS to respond to the NSF Big Data Spokes funding solicitation (BD Spokes).
- A brief presentation about the funding opportunity and the background of the regional BD Hubs (Midwest, Northeast, South and West) and existing Spokes
- Discussion of ideas of new Spokes and forming collaborative teams (within and outside of UM)
- Discussion on aligning and working with regional BD hubs
The BD Spokes will work with regional BD hubs and existing spokes to accelerate progress towards societal grand challenges in regional and national priority areas, help automate the Big Data lifecycle, enable access to and increase the use of important data sets, and contribute to education and training. The focus areas specified by NSF include: Education; Data Intensive Research in the Social, Behavioral, and Economic Sciences; Data-driven Research in Chemistry; Neuroscience; Data Analytics for Security; Replicability and Reproducibility in Data Science. All researchers interested in proposing or collaborating on new BD Spokes are welcome to our working group.
- May 17, 2017: University of Michigan internal deadline for declaring intent. NSF allows only one proposal from each university as the lead institution
- Sept. 18, 2017: full proposal due to NSF