> The Michigan Institute for Data Science (MIDAS) is seeking applications for its inaugural Rocket Companies Michigan Data Science Fellow position.
This position is generously supported by Rocket Companies and is part of the Michigan Data Science Fellows (DS Fellows) Program. This two-year program provides outstanding young researchers with intensive data science and Artificial Intelligence (AI) experience as they ready themselves for independent research and faculty positions.
MIDAS is dedicated to building a data science and AI research community and external partnerships, advancing innovative and responsible data science and AI, and translating research outcomes to positive societal impact. Its DS Fellows Program accepts young researchers who have a strong track record of research in their respective fields and who plan to acquire additional skills in data science and AI. The new Fellow will work in an intellectually vibrant environment, and build collaboration with other Fellows, over 420 MIDAS affiliate faculty members, and the Rocket Companies data science team. They are expected to be strong candidates for university faculty and other research positions when they leave the program.
Research focus area of the Rocket Companies Michigan Data Science Fellow: Ethical data science and AI, broadly defined, including considerations of fairness, diversity, explanations, and reproducibility.
Application deadline: 11:59 pm, Nov. 15, 2021.
Eligibility: Applicants must be outstanding, intellectually curious researchers. They should have a doctorate in a related area before the expected start date of their fellowship. They should have never had a faculty position. Collaboration experience and strong communication skills will be viewed favorably. We recognize that strength comes through diversity and actively seek and welcome people with diverse backgrounds, experiences, and identities. Individuals already at U-M are eligible to apply.
Faculty Mentor: An applicant is not expected to identify a MIDAS faculty mentor. After the Fellow starts at MIDAS, they will have at least one MIDAS faculty member as a mentor. Working together with MIDAS, the mentor(s) will provide career guidance to the Fellow, meet regularly to assess research progress, help the Fellow seek opportunities for career advancement, and participate in activities that strengthen the Michigan Data Science Fellows community and the U-M data science and AI community.
Priority deadline: 11:59 pm, Nov. 15, 2021. Applications received after this date will be considered only if the position is still available.
Notifications: on or before Jan. 15, 2022.
The expected start date will be mutually agreed upon by the Fellow and MIDAS.
The Application Package
The application package should include:
- The candidate’s CV
- A Research Statement, up to 4 pages, that includes
- The proposed data science research, including its importance and potential impact;
- Qualifications that make the applicant particularly suitable for this position;
- The applicant’s career plan and how this Fellowship will benefit the plan.
- A reproducibility statement (up to 1 page): MIDAS is dedicated to promoting reproducible data science. Applicants should state how they will address the issue of the reproducibility of their research. This could be, but is not limited to, a rigorous method to reduce human errors in the study design or a thorough way to share data and code. A number of examples can be found on MIDAS website. It is important to articulate how their approach to reproducibility can be shared and adopted by other data scientists. Reproducibility may also be the focus of their research, such as the improvement of the robustness of data science methodology, or developing tools for reproducible research.
- (Optional) Intention for mentorship
- The applicant may choose to list one or more MIDAS faculty members who may provide mentoring. This is not required, and will not in itself be a plus point.
- If the applicant has already established a connection with one or more prospective MIDAS faculty mentors, such prospective mentors should each provide a Letter of Support. The letter can be included in the application package, or emailed separately to firstname.lastname@example.org by the Nov. 15 deadline.
- Names and contact information of two or three additional references
The University of Michigan is committed to a policy of equal opportunity for all persons and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, age, marital status, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, disability, religion, height, weight, or veteran status in employment, educational programs and activities, and admissions.
Rocket Companies is a Detroit-based holding company consisting of personal finance and consumer technology brands including Rocket Mortgage, Rocket Homes, Rocket Loans, Rocket Auto, Rock Central, Amrock, Core Digital Media, Rock Connections, Lendesk and Edison Financial. Since 1985, Rocket Companies has been obsessed with helping its clients achieve the American dream of home ownership and financial freedom.
For questions about this application, please contact email@example.com