The Michigan Institute for Data Science (MIDAS) invites nominations to the annual Future Leaders Summit. The event offers outstanding graduate students, postdocs, and early-career faculty from around the US the opportunity to engage in research discussions with peers and with research leaders, and receive career mentoring, as they grow to become leaders in data science and Artificial Intelligence (AI) research.
Dates: April 8-10, 2024
Location: University of Michigan, Ann Arbor, MI
Data science and AI are having a significant impact on society in uncountable ways, leading to huge benefits in many cases. Yet, increasingly complex analytical pipelines working with poorly understood heterogeneous data sets can give rise to harms in many ways. Furthermore, there could be deleterious systemic effects such as the magnification of disinformation or surveillance capitalism. There has been tremendous recent interest in understanding and managing these concerns. The Summit will explore in-depth topics in this broad area, including, but not limited to:
- Equity and fairness, particularly in automated decision making
- Explainability of analytical results
- Reproducibility and replication of scientific results
- Systemic issues, particularly those impacting marginalized populations
- Responsible AI in science and engineering. Established in 2022, MIDAS is home to the Eric and Wendy Schmidt AI in Science Postdoctoral Fellowship. With this, we are dedicated to promoting responsible data science and AI for natural sciences and engineering.
Nominations may come from faculty mentors, department chairs, institute directors, deans / associate deans and other university leaders. All nominations, though, should include the signature of their respective department chair, director, or unit leadership.
We strongly encourage the nomination of individuals from underrepresented groups. Consistently, more than half of the attendees at previous Summits have been women and underrepresented minorities; MIDAS is committed to developing a diverse group of scholars in research, considering diversity in all respects, including race, gender, national origin, socioeconomic background, and other identities.
Nominations: by 11:59 pm, Feb. 16, 2024
Notification of decisions: by Feb, 26, 2024
For questions, please contact email@example.com