- This event has passed.
MIDAS and Exercise & Sport Science Initiative Present: Ivana Seric – Philadelphia 76ers Data Scientist
October 12, 2020 @ 4:00 pm - 5:00 pm
Data Scientist, Research and Development, Philadelphia 76ers
The evolution of basketball with data science
For the last couple of decades, most industries have grown to take advantage of the information gained from data collection. As that happened, professional sports teams started to catch on. Baseball took the lead thanks to the amount of data collected over the years, which dates to the 1800s, but a lot of other professional sports followed and put more attention to their data collection. With technological advancements, particularly high-speed cameras, storage capacities and image recognition, more dynamic sports started to collect richer and richer data. The insights derived from this data started shifting the way the game is played and the way players are evaluated. This talk will take you through the evolution of data science in basketball and give examples of how data is shifting the way teams make decisions on and off the court.
– From Split, Croatia
– Member of Croatian women under 16 and under 18 basketball teams that participated in European Championships.
– Both bachelor’s and doctorate degree from NJIT in applied mathematics
– Member of NJIT women’s basketball team during undergraduate studies with an athletic scholarship
– Ph.D. dissertation focused on computational fluid dynamics (Department of Mathematical Sciences, NJIT)
– After graduation, started working for the Philadelphia 76ers as a data scientist in research and development department. Using data to provide insights into the game of basketball to the basketball operations office, primarily to the coaching staff, focusing on on-court strategy.