The Michigan Institute for Data Science (MIDAS) is convening a research working group on data integration. Data integration is an essential component of data science research in almost all research areas that use heterogeneous data varying in format, dimensionality, quality and granularity. The examples are endless: multi-omics data integration is increasingly critical in biological research; clinical research benefits greatly from the integration of patient longitudinal data, lab data, sensor data and other types of diagnosis and self-report; environmental monitoring often needs the integration of statistical data, image data and geospatial data; social science research, including education, political science and economics, increasingly integrates social media and other web-based data with traditional survey data… All the applications encounter similar data science challenges, including idiosyncratic integration methods, missing data, bias and coverage, consistency and quality control issues. Our working group welcomes researchers with interest in data integration methodology and its application in any scientific domain. We hope to create an interdisciplinary forum that will foster new ideas and collaborations.
- Introduction. Each participant has a few minutes (based on the number of RSVPs) to present
- their research background, interest and needs for collaboration, and
- current projects involving data integration
- Short chalk talks. 2-3 slots are available for 10-minute presentations if you want to
- seek the group’s input on methods and discuss roadblocks and/or
- share useful methods or tools
- Open discussion on ideas, collaboration and current funding announcements.
Future Plan: Based on the interest of participants, MIDAS will hold regular meetings on data integration (chalk talks, discussion of funding announcements, etc.), and work with the UM Business Engagement Center to bring in industry partnership as needed.
Please RSVP. For questions, please contact Jing Liu, MIDAS Senior Scientist and Industry Partnership Leader (email@example.com; 734-764-2750). Please share this announcement with your colleagues who might be interested.